Thursday, January 29, 2015

Meeting up with Wikipedia Indonesia Community


My first gathering with Wikipedia Indonesia was begun from the gathering in commemorating of 10th Wikipedia Indonesia anniversary at D’Marco Café Jakarta in Juny 28th 2013 ago. The information about the event was accidentally got from their Facebook open group entitled “Wikipedia Indonesia” when I was following their photo quiz in the same moment. The quiz was announced on header of Wikipedia Indonesia page and was linked to their Facebook group. Alhamdulillah, fortunately I became one of the winner in that quiz and obtaining any stickers and one CD contained Wikipedia Indonesia offline database.

Initially, I hesitated to attend that gathering because every participant must create simple presentation about Wikipedia Indonesia with free theme. Moreover, the event was held at 4 pm. After considering again, finally I went to the event because I thought it would be my new great experience to meet with Wikipedia Indonesia Community due to Wikipedia is the biggest of encyclopedia in the world. I could get and meet with Mpok Nori, why I couldn’t meet with Wikipedia Indonesia? It had no reason again. Finally, I decided to attend that event and then looking for the presentation idea as the requirement.

After browsing any articles about Wikipedia Indonesia, finally I found the presentation idea. My idea was discussing about official Wikipedia apps on Android that yet well known by Indonesian. After done my lecture, I directly went to D’Marco Café by public transportation was navigated by Maps on my Android phone. Alhamdulillah, finally I could arrive there although the weather was light rain. I was really confused to there because there was not banner displayed Wikipedia Indonesia event in the front of D’Marco café. I just knew the event was there after entering the café. The participant consisted of Wikipedia Indonesia Community, Wiki Media, and new participants. From this moment I knew Ricky Setiawan (third from left) and Mr. Hariadhi (first from left) as the admin of Wikipedia Indonesia. It led the question why the admin are there in Wikipedia Indonesia? We had known that Wikipedia is free encyclopedia and free edited by everyone. It would rise any vandalism activity from non-responsible person. So, it needs people who monitoring every article changes. They are known as administrator or admin. I also met with new friend from Mercubuana University, Alven Delano. His name is really “western” but he actually came from Padang, West Sumatra. 

During the event each participant presented their presentation, included me. Then continued with presentation about their further project by Wikipedia Indonesia committee. The event was ended with question session, blew anniversary candles, and networking with each other. Honestly, this was my favorite session because I could add my new colleague. Do you know? I still met with Ricky and Mr. Hariadhi right now. We are discussing for either about Wikipedia projects or other trending topics especially about politics. I hope this connection is still ongoing and we always keep in touch with each other. If you wanna see details of that event, you can click here. Thanks for coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment